Saturday, June 14, 2014

Lesson 7

    The lesson this week has been awesome.  I really enjoyed reading Philemon for our group assignment.  Forgiveness is such a powerful thing and even if you think that you cannot forgive someone with Christ you can.  This sounds so trivial but it is true.  It will be hard and seem impossible but with his help you can learn to forgive.  I chose to do choice 1 and it was really interesting because I always have a hard time directly applying the scriptures....especially things in the Bible to my own life.  
Choice 1: Philippians 1–4. Find Solutions in the Scriptures to Life’s Challenges
For each of the following common challenges, write the counsel from Philippians that you would use to resolve it:
·         People sometimes argue and complain over petty matters in church meetings or throughout the week (see Philippians 2:1–8, 14–15).
  • There is a ton of counsel on this that could apply.  To start it says in verse 14 to do all things without murmurings and disputing’s.  I think I am guilty of this a ton and it is something that I could definitely be better at.  In verse 3 it says let nothing be done through strife or vainglory.  Then the remedy is in verse 8 it talks about being humble and obedient. 
·         Many youth feel that their parents’ testimony is sufficient for them. Since they have good parents, they rely on them for all their spiritual strength (see Philippians 2:12–15 and institute student manual commentary for Philippians 2:12, “Work out Your Own Salvation with Fear and Trembling” [pp. 361–62]).
  • It is not enough.  The first line of the student manual commentary is “An outstanding doctrine of the Church is that each individual carries the responsibility to work out his own salvation, and salvation is a process of gradual development.”  This is about as clear as it gets.  Faith without works is dead.  We cannot just say that we believe and/or that our parent’s belief is good enough.  We have to act.  We have to strive to incorporate Christ like attributes into our own lives.  The whole purpose of this life is to become more Christ like. 
·         An investigator is considering joining the Church, but his family will no longer associate with him if he does (see Philippians 3:7–16; 4:13).
  • I feel like the teachings here will be very cutting to this investigator but at the same time it does not leave a lot of room for interpretation.  4:13 says that “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.”  If you know that it is true then you should join.  I can’t imagine what this would feel like but you know that you are doing the right thing.  And you just have to hope that one day they will be able to come to the gospel and the truth. 
·         How is this writing assignment an example of the principle taught in 2 Nephi 32:3? 
  • It helps me feast upon the words of Christ and it really helps me apply what I am learning to my own life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment