Saturday, July 18, 2015

Marriage in the Later Years (Ch 9)

     I can't wait to be old and just having fun with my wife.  It has something I have thought about all my life.  Just being able to wake up and just spend all the time with my wife.  We could travel or just stay home, go see family, play games, hopefully still have the physical energy to do outdoors kinda things.  I have always been so excited just to have that time to spend with her after all the kids are out of the house and we both don't work.
     One thing that has always scared me though is the possibility that we may not make it that far.  Both of our parents have been divorced and remarried, 3 out of 4 sets of grandparents have been divorced.  I also know that my great grandma went through 4 husbands!  So divorce runs in our family.  At least that is what Satan wants us to think.  Divorce itself is 100% a choice.  And a choice that my wife and I will not make.
    According to our textbook the keys to success are

"(a) personal commitment to the marriage covenant,
  (b) love and friendship,
  (c) positivity,
  (d) the ability to accept influence from one's spouse,
  (e) the respectful handling of differences and the ability to solve problems, and
  (f) continual courtship throughout the years."

     The chapter also talks a lot about losing loved ones later in life.  This has always been my greatest fear.  Losing my wife.  There are two big quotes in the book I wanted to share:
"[The Savior] knows of our anguish, and He is there for us...[His] healing blessings come in many ways, each suited to our individual needs, as known to Him who loves us best.  Sometimes a "healing" cures our illness or lifts our burden.  But sometimes we are "healed" by being given strength or understanding or patience to bear the burdens placed upon us.  [Alma and his people] did not have their burdens removed, but the Lord strengthened them so that "they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord" (Mosiah 24:15)."  This same promise and effect applies to you...caregivers who are burdened."
 -Elder Dallin H. Oaks 2006

"The key to overcoming aloneness and a feeling of uselessness for one who is physically able is to step outside yourself by helping others who are truly needy.  We promise those who will render this kind of service that, in some measure, you will be healed of the loss of loved ones or the dread of being alone.  The way to feel better about your own situation is to improve someone else's circumstances."
- President Ezra Taft Benson 1989

     Finally, I will just leave a few videos here of two couples who have been married for over 80 years.  They give advice on what has helped them last so long!




No comments:

Post a Comment