Saturday, July 18, 2015

Prayer and Faith in Marriage (Chapter 19)

     This is something that I definitely need to work on.  It is so easy to get off track especially when things are going great!
     I am very prideful and forget the things I need to be doing easily.  It is so easy when things go great.  I remember when my wife and I first got married.  Neither of us had a job lined up and we had just moved in to our new apartment.  We weren't sure what to do.  I actually turned down a job because we had prayed and felt it was the wrong decision for me to work there.  One day I remember we were going to go out and look for jobs but my sister asked me to come over and give her a blessing.  I went over and afterwards I went to the store to get some things for dinner.  Right as I pulled in I got a call and I got a job offer.  I took it and it was such a blessing!  In that time I was in the right mind set for the Lord to help us. Here are a couple websites about prayer in marriage.  

There is a quote in the second website that I really like.  
"The reason why many fail in battle is because they wait until the hour of battle. The reason why others succeed is because they have gained their victory on their knees long before the battle came ... Anticipate your battles; fight them on your knees before temptation comes, and you will always have victory."
This is a powerful statement.  A few quotes from the chapter are:

President Thomas S. Monson
"May I offer you newlyweds a formula which will ensure that any disagreement you may have will last no longer than one day?  Every night kneel by the side of your bed.  One night, Brother Monson, you offer the prayer, aloud, on bended knee.  The next night you, Sister Monson, offer the prayer, aloud, on bended knee.  I can then assure you that any misunderstanding that develops during the day will vanish as you pray.  You simply can't pray together and retain any but the best of feelings toward one another.  

Elder Dallin H. Oaks
"If you are already descending into the low state of marriage-in-name-only, please join hands, kneel together, and prayerfully plead for help and the healing power of the Atonement.  Your humble and united pleadings will bring you closer to the Lord and to each other and will help you in the hard climb back to marital harmony."
Lastly I share a video about saving your marriage.  The solution I think many times is very simple.....but hard to implement.  But it may be hard to get it going but it will work.  I know that changing ourselves for the better.  Getting closer to our Father in Heaven will strengthen our marriage.  Change may not come right away.  It probably will take years.  But just as in the video if we are sick physically we don't give up.  If our marriage is sick we cannot give up.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment